5/15/2012

A timely word is GOLD



...and yes, I really needed to hear this :


“Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person's seemingly small act of obedience! Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now, and, depend upon it, you will be shown what to do next.”
Elisabeth Elliot, Quest for Love: True Stories of Passion and Purity

Inside my heart, there has been a great urgency to not necessarily 'do' something, but be living like there 'is' truly something more to this life..which is living for God. In some aspects this meant radical change which is still ongoing in me. Thinking of how to glorify God and making it happen in my everyday life (planning like you'd live a hundred years) yet reminding myself this life is temporary until God calls me to heaven (living like you'd die tomorrow)...as most of you will know, positive change is NOT easy in any form. You can't suddenly expect to snap out of something you've been doing for years. It's an ongoing slow step by step process that starts in your mind, followed by actions. At first I got worried of feeling so 'pumped up' since I thought I'd burn out from short-lived motivation (consistency is an all too common struggle). It wasn't the burn out I feared but the fail status I would give myself after the fire died down. This time though, I'm surprised that this feeling hasn't disappeared by now. Feels more like conviction. Or maybe it was conviction in the first place? It's still pretty amazing and the only explanation is that the Holy Spirit is touching my life in ways I didn't imagine. Putting me in totally uncomfortable situations to face my fears to name the least. I guess I should have already had this conviction in my heart to live like Christ, since I call myself a Christian, but maybe I was too lukewarm.

Now I realise it may well be a motivational gift from God to help me come out of my lukewarm shell and persevere. In what I'm doing now. In letting go of things that pull me down and move on. Preparing, broadening and sharpening my mind. Investing in prayer. Investing in others. Opening up to new things and people. Opening up to the possibility that yes, I may stumble, trip over, be misunderstood, but it's ok because the Big Boss up in the sky is looking after me. God will open the doors to what He has prepared for me to do next in his sweet sweet time, I'm sure of that. My challenge is to not be overwhelmed with uncertainty and paralyzed by the 'what-ifs' but continue in diligence, courage and anticipation. Peace, I'm reminded, is something I need to remind myself of more often since God has given it to all of us. We have it in us but it's really a reminding game of sorts, and I'm still learning. :)

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid" - John 14:27

P.S...and I leave you with something totally irrelevant but funny tehheeehee




(source: Gemma Correll, Illustrator)



No comments:

Post a Comment