4/26/2012

there's something about Mary


                 (Source: bible-art.info via Shannon on Pinterest)

Lately, I've been trying to be more of a Mary. That is, Mary from the bible story of sisters who happen to host Jesus in their home. While Mary was basking in Jesus' presence and listening to everything he was saying, her sister Martha was busy preparing (probably preparing dinner for Jesus the guest) and says 'Why do I have to do all the work?! Jesus can you please tell Mary to help me out?'. Surprisingly, Jesus replies by saying Martha is worried about much but Mary knows the one thing that is important. Mary knows there are things to be done, but she doesn't want to lose this opportunity to be with Jesus; she chooses to pour out all her attention to him and this symbolises how much importance she places on his presence.

So now you understand why I want to be like Mary. Most of the time though, I'm more of a Martha who gets 'distracted' by the preparations. Dictionary.com defines distracted as: 1) unable to concentrate because one's mind is preoccupied. 2) Troubled or distraught with grief. Martha is probably worried about whether the bread is kneaded right and the meat well marinated to eat - after all Jesus in not any ordinary guest. But Jesus doesn't care so much about that, he just wants Martha's undivided attention on him and what he has to say. I think I need to remind myself of this on a daily basis, that it isn't about doing it my way but doing it God's way. Sometimes I rely on what I think is best, but he reveals greater wisdom when I spend time with him and listen to him. It means stepping back and letting God take the reigns of my life. That's the type of relationship God wants. He is a jealous yet loving God who only asks one thing: to focus on him everyday of our lives with all our mind, body and soul. It is only then we can truly experience all the wonderful and amazing things he has to offer.


Luke 10:38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (NIV)

x


No comments:

Post a Comment